Proctor Pioneer – The American Generations | West 1858 is a family history project that documents how the Proctor family moved from settling parts of New England to heading out West in 1858. The original Proctor pioneers of Southern Arizona settled in in 1876 and prospered with cattle ranches, gambling and mining over the years. Their story of surviving the wild west can match any Hollywood western.
George William Proctor III was born in 1823 in Providence, RI. He married Elvira E. Cooper and had two children, Elvira E and George E. Elvira (mother) died in 1848, a month after giving birth to George E. GWP III later married Lucinda T. Norris and made the big move West in 1858 to West Point, CA. They set sail for the Isthmus of Darien (Panama), crossed over by land and set off to California on another boat. He had six children with Lucinda and three of his four boys were drawn to the Arizona boom towns of opportunity.
The first few years in California, GWP III moved around a bit. From West Point to Pine Grove and then in 1860 he moved to Elliott (south of Sacramento). He sold the place in Elliott and moved to Cambria in 1861, where he stayed for about 20 years. He was an integral part in building Cambria and the Cambria Historical Society has a wealth of information. Some of GWP III and Lucinda’s property (Allen/Porte House and Taylor House) is part of the walking tour.
After Cambria he moved to San Miguel and later opened the Occidental Hotel. His wife Lucinda died in 1900 and GWP III moved once again, this time to San Francisco. He was killed by a cable car in 1904 and is buried in Paso Robles, CA.
George Edgar Proctor ran his father’s blacksmith shop in the San Miguel, CA area. He married and had two children. In April of 1890 he received a U. S. land patent.
John William Proctor also stayed in California and later worked at the Diamond Match Company. He married and had five children. In February 1890 he received a U.S. land patent.
Frank Louis Proctor purchased land in Pima County beginning in 1884 and later purchased land in Graham County in 1890. He married and had one daughter. He was appointed Pima County Deputy Sheriff and later as under sheriff by Sheriff M.F. Shaw. He went to Cananea, Mexico about 1900 and prospered there from providing the meat for the mining camp. After suffering a paralytic stroke he moved to Los Angeles, bought a home in Hollywood and later bought an extensive walnut grove at El Monte.
Charles Anthony Proctor worked around the Madera Canyon area and built the old little rock house. He married and had six children. He also had a store in Quijotoa, AZ and sold meat to the miners. The mines there were active about 1883-1885. CAP bought the Sopori Ranch in 1898. He lived at La Tesota and Box Canyon Ranch, then later at Sopori Ranch. He was a guard at Yuma Prison from July 1901 to March 1903. He died mysteriously on the Sopori Ranch in 1913.
Henry A Proctor received a U.S. land patent in May of 1891. He purchased property in Pima County in 1905, 1908 and 1910. After 1910 he lived North of the Rillito river in the Tortalita mountains and west of Santa Catalinas. In 1916, there was a fire at the barn on the ranch at Rillito. It was deemed arson. In 1923 he was a plaintiff in a water rights lawsuit against Pima Farms Company. He moved to California after the trial.
All of GWP III daughters stayed in California. Elvira E Proctor remained near Cambria and married Stephen Davis. They had five children. Alice Isabelle Proctor resided mostly by the Bay area. She had four children with her first husband Frank B Ward. Alma Vienna Proctor married Walter Overton and had seven children. In 1890 she received a U.S. land patent.